...these streets will make you feel brand new, these lights will inspire you...

...these streets will make you feel brand new, these lights will inspire you...

Friday, November 5, 2010

Halloween, birthday, and everything in between

Halloween night found us headed to the Greenwich Village Annual Halloween Parade. To get a mental image of this truly unique event, picture more people than you can possibly imagine packed onto about ten blocks with barriers set up along the sides of streets and cops hustling people back and forth across the street every five minutes as they laugh their heads off at the ridiculousness of the situation. Somehow it works- this is an awesome Halloween event. The parade itself is all volunteer, and anyone in costume can join in, which fits in perfectly with the wonderfully indie spirit that the Village is so famous for. The crowds may sound nauseating, but actually they're fantastic- everyone is happy and in costume and you're all justling and bustling to try and make your way to the front to see; meanwhile the parade ranges from people in their old 70s clothes to giant mechanical skeletons the come up and try to eat the crowd. I was so glad we did this, and I was glad my sister Amy was there to do it with me.

In fact, it was a lovely weekend all around spent with Amy; there is something about family that can never be replaced with anything else. From seeing Driving Miss Daisy with James Earl Jones and Vanessa Redgrave (Sooo good!) to exploring the park and perusing through Chinatown and Little Italy, it was a grand old time (Except for Saw 3D! I have spent most of my teenage years avoiding this film series, but Friday night after we found out Rocky Horror was sold out and no one wanted to go home after getting all dressed up, it was decided to go see this supposedly final installment in the infamous torture series- these movies are RIDICULOUS. Seriously, the worst movie I've ever seen, so sadistic and sickening, and just... ugh. Really. Why America?)

But other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and Amy and I had by far the best costumes of anyone. There's still so much we didn't get to do while she was here. There was some whispers about the possibility of bringing her laptop next time and just staying for a week or two... hm... sounds like a good plan to me... I won't lie. Sending Amy off on the subway to the airport on Monday was pretty tough. Kinda like saying goodbye to my parents all over again.

But then school came. And everyone was happy to see me, and in a good mood, and afterwards they surprised me and took me out for dinner and desert as a late birthday celebration. It was one of those magical little NYC moments. I love those. The other day I was walking to school on 34th, like every other morning, but this morning someone had decided to set up a little stand selling classic books rather than the usual sunglasses or pictures or touristy crapola. Instead he sold his classic titles with a great big smile and for a full block there were people sitting, standing, walking with their noses in copies A Tale of Two Cities and The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird. That was cool.

It was a wonderful birthday; It's a wonderful life. Things didn't go exactly as planned, but it's New York- do they ever? And would it be nearly as interesting if they did? Instead it was a weekend filled with spontaneity, exploring adventures, great big care packages from Mom and Dad, a big box of homemade cookies from Ms. Clara- that alone made the birthday a MAJOR SUCCESS, and great time with my sis to remind me how much I love and miss my fantastic family! I'll see you soon Addison Clan, Thanksgiving is just around the corner!

Meanwhile I'll be here. Changing the world. One small step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment